[Qgis-developer] Quick fixes and error communication for ftools

Marco Hugentobler marco.hugentobler at sourcepole.ch
Tue Nov 24 00:28:23 PST 2015

Hi

 >ad issue 1: update fTools to warn users when some features cause problems
 >ad issue 2: quick fix fTools to convert geometry collections to single
geometry types

A function that takes a geometry type and extracts the longest line /
the largest polygon / the first point from the geometry collection
should be straightforward to do.

 >These fixes/updates would be made available as fTools updates via the
plugin installer asap

If the fix does not take too long, we probably don't need a warning at all.

Regards,
Marco

On 23.11.2015 21:35, Anita Graser wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If you are following the psc list, you've probably seen the thread
> discussing current shortcomings of ftools
> (http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-psc/2015-November/003623.html)
>
> In short, the key issues are:
> 1. When ftools encounter issues with certain features, warning
> messages get written to the log but this is largely hidden from users
> since they would actively have to actively monitor the log. The
> problematic features are then missing from the results but this is not
> always obvious.
> 2. The above issue is more common now (since 2.10) since underlying
> libraries more often (and correctly so) produce geometry collections
> as outputs. These geometry collections are not handled well by the
> current ftools code which is much older.
>
> To address these issues, the following suggestions have been made so far:
> ad issue 1: update fTools to warn users when some features cause problems
> ad issue 2: quick fix fTools to convert geometry collections to single
> geometry types
>
> For the warnings, there's already a first PR draft
> https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/2432 which needs to be fleshed out.
>
> These fixes/updates would be made available as fTools updates via the
> plugin installer asap.
>
> If you have ideas how to handle this efficiently or have already
> implemented code that addresses similar issues, let us know.
>
> It would be good to have a quick discussion in order to be able to
> provide improvements fast.
>
> Best wishes,
> Anita

Dr. Marco Hugentobler