[Qgis-developer] Point releases

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 13:33:59 PST 2015

On 26 November 2015 at 07:51, Luigi Pirelli <luipir at gmail.com> wrote:
> ok, I can remove pull request regarding FTool message
>
> wonderful team work... we can summarize some "lesson learned" from this bug?

Write unit tests for critical stuff like this? Don't accept a
replacement for ftools which isn't accompanied by extensive unit
testing? ;)

I'm honestly not sure there is any other solution to avoid this in
future. The bugs were present for a number of releases, so had already
been exposed to extensive USER testing. User testing alone obviously
wasn't enough in this case.

A good regression test suite could have flagged these regressions when
the breaking commits landed. The motivation would then have been on
the developer who broke the tests to fix the regressions or suffer the
wrath of Travis ;)

(BTW, just so we're clear... ftools is old and predated QGIS' current
CI testing infrastructure. I'm not blaming anyone for not having unit
tests for ftools or for breaking the crufty old code in that plugin. I
just think that moving forward any replacement for ftools MUST have a
extensive unit test suite, that's all).

Nyall