[Qgis-developer] SSL error on QGIS startup

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Fri Oct 2 00:27:36 PDT 2015

On Fri, Oct 02, 2015 at 09:20:54AM +0200, Matthias Kuhn wrote:

> The connection to google is made to download their rss javascript
> library to display the news feed on the welcome page.
>
> I don't know why the certificate check fails.
>
> I would be in favor of removing this feed again since it has been
> declassified to an easy-to-miss second tab anyway and lost its original
> planned purpose as push message system.
> Another approach if you'd like to keep it would be to ship the js
> library with the QGIS application (possible license issues would still
> have to be checked).

If the js code is not free software, I'd not want it to be running
in QGIS, even if downloaded dynamically. Besides, downloading it
dinamically poses a big privacy issue; if I'm not mistaken the
QGIS community itself decided NOT to have the clients ping the
qgis website for this specific reason. And we have it ping google
instead ?

Whatever outside communication should be only enabled by the user,
IMHO.

--strk;