[Qgis-developer] SSL error on QGIS startup

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Fri Oct 2 00:49:09 PDT 2015

On 02-10-15 09:20, Matthias Kuhn wrote:
> The connection to google is made to download their rss javascript
> library to display the news feed on the welcome page.
>
> I don't know why the certificate check fails.
>
> I would be in favor of removing this feed again since it has been
> declassified to an easy-to-miss second tab anyway and lost its original
> planned purpose as push message system.
> Another approach if you'd like to keep it would be to ship the js
> library with the QGIS application (possible license issues would still
> have to be checked).

Hi Matthias,

I'm in favour of removing Google lib dependencies, especially if they
give certificate errors :-)

But I did like the news-tab though, and was hoping to attract more
people to read (and write!) about QGIS.

We have a 'news item part' in the frontpage of qgis.org, this is just 10
lines of javascript, which just pulls our feed url:

http://qgis.org/feeds/qugsnews.atom

and pulls the title and url from these, see

https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Website/blob/master/themes/qgis-theme/languageswitch.html#L121-L185

Though this script is using jquery (which is in the website, but
probably not available in QGIS), I'm pretty sure we can do without and
am happy to hack some javascript code to grab the atom from our own site
and show headlines like on the frontpage....)

This does still not anwer the question though, if it is alright to fetch
data from external websites upon startup...

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde