[Qgis-developer] Default fill/outline color for svg symbols

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Sun Oct 11 14:25:00 PDT 2015

On 12 October 2015 at 00:01, Richard Duivenvoorde <rdmailings at duif.net> wrote:
> On 11-10-15 14:03, Nyall Dawson wrote:
>> Try with current master - a784d6b implemented this change and also
>> includes the modification required for just two preinstalled symbols
>> (the first two in the accomodation group). So you can test the new
>> behaviour with these two symbols and verify that there's no
>> regressions with your other custom symbols (I'm confident there won't
>> be).
>
> Yep, tested and looking and working good for me!

Ok, I've pushed the changes to the preinstalled svg files and closed
off #10908 (yay!). Note that unfortunately there's some symbols I
haven't been able to update as they had non-white fill or non-black
outline defaults. I can't standardise these symbols without
potentially breaking their use in other parts of QGIS, eg as a
composer image. After 2.12 I'll try and make the change so that
fill/outline color for SVGs can be set for composer picture items, and
that should then allow me to update these remaining symbols.

> So 'open' questions from me:
>
> - what about the simple and ellipse markers, can we maybe do without and
> move the shapes to svg?

I don't think SVG and the other markers should be combined. Ellipse
and simple markers, maybe, since there's lots of overlap there. But I
think SVG markers are a different beast and especially when we add
support for raster image markers it's good to be able to have SVG
markers as their own seperate option.

> Should we not fix captions/terms to be the same (looking at lines and
> different point dialogs):
> - either choose 'rotation' or 'angle' (not using both)
> - either choose 'pen' or 'border' ?
> - color vs fill vs fill-color

Definitely - I hate this kind of inconsistency. I'll do this.

Nyall