[Qgis-developer] Release schedule discussion - again

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Mon Oct 12 09:37:49 PDT 2015

Hi Jürgen,

I don't claim that a six months release schedule solves all our issues.
I know it is not too different.

But every release is a lot of work - for packagers, translators,
testers, documenters - also for people like Anita and me who help
evangelizing/promoting QGIS. In the past I tried to promote/advertise
QGIS for every release - now it became insane - it would be a full-time job!

There was probably a reason to release very often in the early days of
QGIS - when a lot of features were still missing - but there is not so
much pressure anymore these days.

I also have the impression that our testing/bug fixing period is too
short. If I am on holidays for 1-2 weeks during this time, I almost
missed my opportunity to properly test the release. It would be much
easier if it would be a 2-month period for testing/bug fixing.

And there is another thing: I usually tell the Swiss QGIS users to test
a new release - if this happens too often - they don't take you
seriously anymore - What? There was just a release a couple of weeks ago
- and now I should already test again? The reality is that many users
out there work with old releases because they can't upgrade that often -
due to whatever reasons in their organizations.

Like Régis - even if my users may only work with the LTR version - I
personally want to stay up-to-date/current with the in between releases
- test stuff early on. For me, personally, even the nightly is good
enough for the testing purpose. No need to do a full release for testing
stuff. But if it happens that feature X only works in version A, and
then stops working in the next release due to a bug, and then yet
another feature only worked in the version 2 versions ago - it really
becomes a burden and nightmare to maintain QGIS in an organization.

If we continue cranking out releases at this very fast pace - we also
risk a very strong disconnect between the actual professional users out
there (who may be 2-4 releases behind) and the nerds who can afford to
stay always at the cutting edge.

And: we could better concentrate our quality assurance efforts and
finances (employ more devs and/or let them work longer/more concentrated
on bug fixing) if we don't release too often.

Andreas