[Qgis-developer] Release schedule discussion - again

Lauri Kajan lauri.kajan at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 00:27:57 PDT 2015

Hi all,

Now each LTR release is not that different from regular releases. Those
LTR releases don't get that much more testing than other releases and
the .0 releases are potentially as fragile as regular releases.
It is mostly the new features that cases bugs and crashes. What if we
don't introduce any new features in LTR releases?
This is just a thought and I don't know if it would work in practice.

Let me explain better what I mean with this.
Basically the last point release would come the next LTR-release. We could
still have three releases per year. If I use ubuntu release
notation those are 15.02, 15.06 and 15.09. The next LTR would be
released in February of 2016 and that would be based on 15.09.2
for example. Lets name that release just LTR 16.
With this release process each new feature in LTR would have gone
through a three months testing during the usage period of 15.09 besides
the 15.09 feature freeze testing.
At the same time a regular 16.02 release could be released with all new
fancy features. Actually this would make four releases per year + point
releases.

Is this kind of process proposed before?
Like I said before I don't know how would this work in practice because I
can't imagine all different bug fixing, back porting or packaging
situations.

Regards,

Lauri