[Qgis-developer] Release schedule discussion - again

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Tue Oct 13 23:16:30 PDT 2015

And of course the change to QT5 / Python 3 should happen immediately 
after the next LTS release - to give enough time to stabilize for the 
LTS release after the next LTS. Given the cited problems with OSX and 
qt4 it makes sense to do the switch after the next LTS.


On 14.10.2015 08:10, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
> Hi all,
> Il 14/10/2015 01:47, Nyall Dawson ha scritto:
>> - decide on the timeline for LTR releases (1/2 years? overlapping LTR releases?)
>> - and finally.... make a decision about the move to Qt5/Python
>> 3.0/QGIS 3.0 and stop putting this difficult choice off!
> Regarding this, I'm more worried about the human side of it then the
> tech one. Convincing *hundreds* of plugin devs to upgrade their plugin
> is a huge task, and if we fail to upgrade many of them, users will stick
> to older QGIS versions, thereby effectively forking the project. I have
> seen this in other projects, and the consequences are quite negative.
> I think we should:
> * start now warning plugin devs to prepare for the transition
> * provide guidance and, if feasible, tools to smooth out the upgrade.
> I'd be in favour of setting aside some resources for this.
> All the best.

More information about the Qgis-developer mailing list