[Qgis-developer] Release schedule discussion - again

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 23:35:00 PDT 2015

On 14 October 2015 at 17:25, Nathan Woodrow <madmanwoo at gmail.com> wrote:
> When we want to move to 3.0 it has to be planned out well and documented.
> There is going to be API breaks on a lot of different fronts, which might
> mean it might be best to hold that release off for 12 months while
> everything is sorted and people have time to catch up. As it will break
> plugins again this isn't something we should just drop and hope that it
> sorts it self out.

I honestly don't think we have the luxury of that time frame. Sooner
or later, Qt4 will break on one of our platforms, and that will be a
worse situation for users than some missing plugins. To put this in
perspective, Qt4 IS BROKEN on the latest OSX release and can only be
used with a bunch of 3rd party hacks. We're can't delay any longer.

My thoughts:

- If we need another LTR in the 2.0 series (I'm not convinced we do),
the 2.14 should be this release. Followed by a 6 month cycle for 3.0
-  If not, then the 2.14 release should be 3.0 (with a 6 month cycle)

Nyall