[Qgis-developer] Composer Legend items: what are the differences between "auto-update" and "update all" options?

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Wed Oct 14 05:20:34 PDT 2015

Hi,

I am adding the UX (user interface) list about this legend discussion.

The whole situation about legend updates and the current legend GUI in
composer is indeed a bit confusing and changed quite a bit in the last
one (or two? releases). I also think that the "Auto update" checkbox and
the "Update all" button next to it are almost redundant.

As far as I can tell, in the very recent master version, all the symbol
changes that happen in the legend tree of the main application
immediately reflect to the composers anyway (without any user
intervention and regardless of the AutoUpdate checkbox - I think this is
the expected behavior that most users want) - so can't we remove that
Autoupdate button? Or better rename it to "Reset Legend" - which would
more accurately describe what it does?

I also think that the "AutoUpdate" checkbox should not be turned on by
default. The AutoUpdate now only concerns that new layers or entries in
the layer are automatically added into the legend. I doubt that many
users want to have that behavior enabled by default - because it means
that the legend can grow uncontrolled in size and run off the page
relatively quickly.

@Alexandre: note that the "Update selected" already works on the context
menu (right-klick) if you select a layer. But now that updates happen
automatically, I am not sure if the update of a single layer is needed
anymore.

Just my thoughts on the issue.

Andreas