[Qgis-developer] QEP - Proposal for QGIS 3.0 after 2.14

Mathieu Pellerin nirvn.asia at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 21:52:49 PDT 2015

Nyall,

Great initiative! The sooner a plan can be agreed upon, the better.

Coincidentally to your QEP proposal, I came up with an alternative timeline
idea over the last few days that would avoid skipping a release cycle but
still give us enough time to complete the port to Qt5.

Basically, we begin the development cycle of both 2.14 LTR _as well as_ 3.0
at the same time, following the public release of 2.12. The simultaneous
overlapping development of those two versions (for the first four months)
would have two distinct objectives and release dates:
- for 2.14 LTR, the development cycle would last 4 months and would be
released, as planned, on 26.02.2016 with a focus on stability and bugfix
based on the feedback from users on 2.12 (small-ish new features could be
pushed too)
- for 3.0, the development cycle would last 8 months, with the first four
months overlapping with the development of 2.14 LTR, and be released on
26.06.2016 (as our 4-month release cycle would have it following the
release of 2.14 LTR) with a focus on porting QGIS to Qt5 and python 3 as
well as significant new features.

This alternate timeline proposal both speeds up the delivery of QGIS 3.0 as
well as insuring QGIS 2.14 LTR is shipped with a focus on stability as devs
can push new features onto QGIS 3.0.

Thoughts?