[Qgis-developer] Improving ftools geoprocessing tools

Victor Olaya volayaf at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 07:07:19 PDT 2015

> If we'd replace the ftools (vector and raster menu) through processing. What
> would replace them? Would we do research and see which of the alternative
> processing providers provides best speed/reliability - if there are multiple
> versions? It may be, that for Algorithm A, Saga works best, whereas for
> algorithm B GRASS is better and for C GDAL or the QGIS builtin in mechanism.

SAGA algorithms are pretty fast, and we wont probably get that
performance unless we move the logic of algorithms to the C++ core (as
Alex suggested). However, I wouldn't put the SAGA algorithm to replace
the ftools menu, for the reason that you mentioned: SAGA only handles
shapefiles. I think that it would be better to get a good performance
(even if it is not that good when compared to GRASS or SAGA), but have
the support for all formats. Processing will give you that support,
converting files as needed, but in the end, it has to pass through a
shapefile, and we have the problem with field names...