[Qgis-developer] QEP - Proposal for QGIS 3.0 after 2.14

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 16:24:19 PDT 2015

On 24 October 2015 at 07:26, Jürgen E. <jef at norbit.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 22. Oct 2015 at 08:47:26 +1100, Nyall Dawson wrote:
>> Why not:
>
> - Branch off a qt5 branch from master now and start with porting
> - continue as usual with master to produce 2.14
> - branch 2.14 off and release it in four month
> - then merge the qt5 branch into master (aka 2.15)
> - finally branch 3.0 off and release it in eight month
>
> Essentially the same - but with the benefit for me that the nightlies and
> packaging scripts can continue as is - and there are four more month to get the
> dependencies in place (ie. Qt5, PyQt5, Python3 in OSGeo4W).

Sorry Jürgen, when I was thinking more about this I realised I also
should have also included you in the potential list of devs who
could/should be funded by QGIS org to complete this work. I realise
that this is a considerable task to get all the dependencies ready
too! Apologies for that, and no slight was intended by not mentioning
this earlier.

My concern with this approach would be that we'd need to make sure
it's known that major changes aren't acceptable for 2.14. If 2.14 was
branched off from master early then this would be immediately evident,
but if not then we need to make it well known to devs that the usual
rules don't apply during the 2.14 cycle...

Also in the ideal world we'd have the Qt5/python 3 test builds
available asap so that people can start testing/porting plugins. But
understandably this isn't an easy task.

Otherwise, I'd also be happy with this approach.

Nyall