[Qgis-developer] QEP - Proposal for QGIS 3.0 after 2.14

Jürgen E. Fischer jef at norbit.de
Sat Oct 24 05:15:14 PDT 2015

Hi Matthias,

On Sat, 24. Oct 2015 at 13:45:02 +0200, Matthias Kuhn wrote:
> Can we not just develop in a separate branch, merge features back into master
> whenever they are ready. Be it before or after release of 2.14 LTR.

Right, sounds like what I intended to say ;)

> I am afraid that working on two separate branches will effectively lead to
> imporant work being done twice. Bugfixes forgotten to be ported...

Sure, that's the risk.  I'm also not sure why we have make prediction what the
we'll find when porting to py3/pyqt5 and use those to make plans.

> Why not:
>
>  * Branch off one py3/pyqt5 development branch now.
>  * Introduce a compile time switch to control if python2 or python3 code
>    binaries should be compiled

And when we have that, we actually know how large the impact of py3/pyqt5 is -
and can decide if it's better to merge the branch back to master before 2.14 or
after.  If it's feasible to have a version that supports py2/3, pyqt4/5 and
Qt4/5 it's before 2.14 and otherwise it's after.

Jürgen

Software Engineer           D-26506 Norden             http://www.norbit.de
QGIS release manager (PSC)  Germany                    IRC: jef on FreeNode