[Qgis-developer] plugin maintenance

Blumentrath, Stefan Stefan.Blumentrath at nina.no
Thu Sep 10 01:44:37 PDT 2015

Hi,

Recently, I updated the GarminCustomMap plugin which I developed a few years ago, because users reported that it crashes QGIS.

Unfortunately, the bug reports (the plugin uses the QGIS bug tracker system and repository) never were forwarded to me, so I noticed them only with a significant delay...
So I was wondering if it is preferred that plugin authors use their own versioning and bug tracking solution (github in my case)?

Furthermore, the plugin worked nicely with QGIS 2.0 to 2.4. While problems were reported for 2.6 and later. I did not change the plugin-code in that period, so issues must have been introduced by external changes (likely in GDAL/OGR and their windows packages). I see that it is impossible to prevent such issues, as plugins are by nature not core. But how should plugin authors deal with that? Simply send bug reports back to QGIS (in my case it came from there...)?

Kind regards,
Stefan

P.S.: For me it seems that it was sufficient to simply rebuild the plugin skeleton with latest Plugin-Builder (which was about time anyway), but sometimes identifying the problem can be quite time consuming and frustrating...