[Qgis-developer] fTools - Processing (again)

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Fri Sep 11 03:52:39 PDT 2015

Il 11/09/2015 11:29, kimaidou ha scritto:
> +1 for this !

Hi all,
thanks for raising this point, IMHO a serious one. I'm very much in
favour of removing redundancy. In this case, however, I think we better
be careful before removing fTools, because:

* people are used to it, and for one-shot analyses it is (slightly)
easier to run than Processing (weak argument)
* we do not have enough development resources to make Processing
bulletproof, particularly for 3rd party backends; therefore, we
encounter occasional problems, and we cannot guarantee a smooth user
experience in all cases (strong argument).

First issue can be solved, as suggested, by adding menu shortcuts to
Processing analyses, to mimic existing situation.
Second one is more serious: IMHO we really need a dedicated developer in
this area: any power user (=larger institutions) are willing to take it?
Similar things may be said for GDALTools.
All the best.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu