[Qgis-developer] What's your view on QGIS plugins that connect to non-GPL software?

Crispin Cooper CooperCH at cardiff.ac.uk
Fri Sep 18 05:36:34 PDT 2015

Thinking on all that’s said here…

The idea that the proprietary link must be optional to ensure compliance with GPL seems to me a difficult one to apply at the granularity of plugins, because if the aim is to provide multiple different ways of doing something, the natural way to implement this is via multiple different plugins.  The overall effect then is that the proprietary link is optional in QGIS overall but not within that plugin.

Anyway I noticed there is an existing case study here in the Oracle Spatial Georaster plugin https://docs.qgis.org/2.2/en/docs/user_manual/plugins/plugins_oracle_raster.html

Is this sort of thing generally considered ok, and on what grounds?

Best regards

Crispin