[Qgis-developer] Kriging interpolation functionality in QGIS?

Victor Olaya volayaf at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 02:35:40 PDT 2015

Kriging is not that hard to find in QGIS, you just have to go to the
Processing search box and type "Kriging" to find all the the kriging
algorithms ;-)

>From the point of view of user-friendliness, the Processing
implementation (wrapping the corresponding SAGA modules), might not be
as easy to use as some people would like, but for tools such as
kriging I am strongly against wizard-like UI's and similar elements.
ArcGIS's Statistical Analyst is great and has a wizard with a
fantastic "next" button that allows you to interpolate using all sort
of esoteric methods and will make you believe that you are creating
sound raster layers...when the truth is that, without knowledge, you
are creating rubish. I don't like to give users that wrong sensation.

People want a "Kriging for dummies" functionality, and that's is a bad
idea. Kriging is complex and it's not easy to understand the
underlying principles...but you have to understand them if you want to
use the tool. I think there's no other functionality as misused in GIS
software as this one...everyone want to use kriging because it's cool
and they have heard it's better...but without studying what it really
is.

(I get questions about this topic often, so here's my take on it and
on why the Processing implementation is like that, in case it might
help).