[Qgis-developer] Kriging interpolation functionality in QGIS?

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Mon Sep 28 04:37:28 PDT 2015

On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 10:35 AM, Victor Olaya <volayaf at gmail.com> wrote:

> From the point of view of user-friendliness, the Processing
> implementation (wrapping the corresponding SAGA modules), might not be
> as easy to use as some people would like, but for tools such as
> kriging I am strongly against wizard-like UI's and similar elements.
> ArcGIS's Statistical Analyst is great and has a wizard with a
> fantastic "next" button that allows you to interpolate using all sort
> of esoteric methods and will make you believe that you are creating
> sound raster layers...when the truth is that, without knowledge, you
> are creating rubish. I don't like to give users that wrong sensation.

Agreed. Anything claiming to be a "wizard" for Kriging really needs to
be a psychic wizard that can read your thoughts and understand your
data. A better device would be an "Interrogator":

*ping* Your data seems to be discrete small integers, are you sure you
want to model it as a Gaussian? [*yes*/no]

*ping* So you want to model your data with Gaussian cofactor response
p-value thresholds from an underlying Bayesian surface? [*yes*/no]

*ping* That last question was nonsense. You're just clicking "yes"
until you get a surface model - any surface model - right? [*yes*/no]

*ping* okay, at least you are honest. I'm deleting the kriging module
now, go find a statistician.

Barry