[Qgis-developer] [Qgis-user] [ANNOUNCE] 2.11 feature freeze begun

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Mon Sep 28 13:45:10 PDT 2015

Hi

> On 26 Sep 2015, at 23:14, Larry Shaffer <larrys at dakotacarto.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Nyall,
>
> Sorry about that. Seems my notification script was failing. I will have the Mac nightlies back up tonight. Also, I will introduce a slim fully bundled version, without any external installs needed.
>
> Alternatively, I can do a very minimal Homebrew-based build that has almost no bundling, and only requires a base QGIS formula install of dependencies
>
> Yet another option is add light bundling to the Travis builds and push those to an Amazon S3 bucket when completed.
>
> Again, sorry about the nightlies. Been too busy to notice

Its a tough choice - I remember a while back you mentioned the possibility of using an in-place binary update service (I forget the name of the framework) so that we could incrementally update our .app bundle. It would be awesome to start with the nightly builds using this approach so that we can just get the delta of changes each night. Otherwise I would probably opt to continue with the same strategy you currently have for nightlies (requiring shared frameworks for GDAL etc) and introduce slim (probably more like ‘fat’) builds for the actual released versions of QGIS for OS X (so that they can be installed sans shared frameworks from William).

While brew is nice, it requires testers to install a lot of stuff on their system in order to be able to test QGIS nightlies, so I would prefer that brew is marketed as a tool for dev rather than for testers.

Regards

Tim