[Qgis-developer] Proposal: removing Processing from plugins repo

Victor Olaya volayaf at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 13:40:51 PDT 2016

Hi all

I would like to know your opinion about this idea: removing Processing
from the QGIS plugins repo.

Rationale for this: we have always tried to release new version of
Processing between releases of QGIS, to provide more updates when
important fixes are made or interesting functionality is added. This
sounds good in theory, but it has proven to be difficult to handle.
The main reason for this is that having the same plugin in the
installation folder and the user folder leads to strange behaviour
sometimes, and confusion for users. The Plugin Manager doesn't seem to
be prepared for this circumstance, and sometimes fails when updating.

I think that maybe is a good idea to handle processing as a core
plugin, and forget about releasing it outside of QGIS releases.
Processing should not be in the plugins repo, to avoid confusion.
Basically, what other core plugins do.

I still see a lot of messages with installation issues and failures,
and I think it is not a good thing.

What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks!