[Qgis-developer] Support for QGIS variables in Processing

Victor Olaya volayaf at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 06:40:34 PDT 2016

> One question I have is if it's required to see variables as an isolated
> topic outside of expressions. Or if whenever a variable is required, a
> complete expression would offer much more flexibility.

That's actually a very good idea. As I said, now I am just trying to
start with this, and integration is scripts seems an easy first step,
but eventually, I would like to have support for variables (or even
better, full expressions) in the textboxes of the algorithm dialog

> I also think that it's often implicitly clear from the context an
> expression appears in, which layer should be the source of the variables.

If an algorithm uses several layers, the algorithm context contains
those layers, and it should be possible to use variables from all of
them to set the other parameters of the algorithm.

> What are the use cases you have in mind?

No particular case for now. I am just trying to make Processing more
useful for automating all sort of operations within QGIS :-)