[Qgis-developer] Accessing GPS data on Windows 8/10

Jürgen E. Fischer jef at norbit.de
Wed Apr 13 04:56:04 PDT 2016

Hi Tariq,

On Wed, 13. Apr 2016 at 13:06:53 +0200, Tariq Al-Sadoon wrote:
> I'm trying to access the GPS data in QGIS on Windows tablets/laptops, but
> it's a known issue that since Windows 8 the GPS data is no longer sent to a
> COM port but is bundled in the Windows Location Provider. Now it seems that
> the only possibility to get the GPS running with QGIS is to use a third-party
> app like Centrafuse or GPSComplete, but is there a open source solution out
> there? And is a fix (having QGIS read the GPS data directly from the location
> provider in Windows) planned or in the works?

There's an open ticket for that: http://hub.qgis.org/issues/7878.  I'd never
had that requirement yet (nor got my hands on anything with such hardware; hm,
is there and inverse thing to centrafuse?   ie. use a "regular" gps via a
windows 8 location provider).  Otherwise that might already exists...

Jürgen

Software Engineer           D-26506 Norden             http://www.norbit.de
QGIS release manager (PSC)  Germany                    IRC: jef on FreeNode