[Qgis-developer] Browser Panel: how do the filtering options work? and other questions...

DelazJ delazj at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 09:12:05 PDT 2016

Hi,

For the documentation purposes [0], I'm trying to understand how does work
the filter tool in the browser panel. I get some behaviour I don't know if
it's what's expected, a local bug or a code related. Let's activate the
filter tool, case insensitive.

1/ Performing a search returns only folders that match at the root of the
tree, unless you had already clicked on one of these folders/DB in which
case direct contents of this one are also fetched. Sub-folders are not
taken into account if not already opened. This imho makes the search tool
less useful given that you need to open a folder/schema to have its
contents available in the search. Can anyone confirm?

2/ If I use the _joker_ option: _ca*_ returns items like cadastre,
cavity... but while writing in the search field, _c_ nor _ca_ (without
using the joker character) return a result. User must use a wildcard before
any result is returned. Is this an expected behaviour? Shouldn't this
option be a special case of the _normal_ search option and thus return
files as the user goes along typing and fine tune the results when the
special character is added?

3/ How is the regular expression search supposed to work? Any help?

4/ When does someone need to use the "Fast scan" option available in the
context menu of a folder?

5/ I'm unable to drag-and-drop file between the two browser panels. Has
this option been removed, if ever available? How do I move files?

6/ This one might be a feature request: I think that the context menu
should be adapted to the concerned item: not only file vs table vs folder
vs schema as currently done. It should:
- show "Add selected layers" only for multiselection, avoiding duplicate
tools when a single file is selected
- not show "add Layer" for unreadable file (.doc, .pdf, .ai ...) - nor, a
bit debatable, show properties for them (currently, you get a widget with
light message 'Error')
- being able to sort the list returned in the properties of a folder will
add some values to this widget

Are there valid points, requiring a feature request open? Let me know.

Thanks to anyone who can provide me some answers in order to complete
documentation.
Harrissou

[0]
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+browser+milestone%3A%22QGIS+2.14%22