[Qgis-developer] [Server] performance questions

Matthias Kuhn matthias at opengis.ch
Fri Apr 22 08:20:21 PDT 2016

Hi,

I don't know the server code very well, so I may be wrong, but I think
that making the server multithreaded rendering (MTR) capable should be
possible. And while it is certainly often possible to increase the
performance with filtering, rules and caching there are certainly also
situations where MTR can help a server to generate quick responses (many
layers, few requests).

As far as I can see, the main task would be porting the code from
QgsMapRenderer to QgsMapRendererJob and QgsMapSettings. A first step
into this direction can be found in a recently closed pull request [1],
in particular this commit [2].

Concerning parallel DB connection, there's no difference between server
and desktop use. This code is already in production use and should be
fairly robust already.

I hope I didn't base this message on wrong assumptions and hope someone
of the server developers can shed more light onto this.

Regards
Matthias

[1] https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/2989/files
[2]