[Qgis-developer] Moving the install instructions to a more sexy, visible, coherent and translatable page in qgis.org

Jürgen E. Fischer jef at norbit.de
Mon Apr 25 08:19:38 PDT 2016

Hi Richard,

On Sat, 23. Apr 2016 at 16:53:46 +0200, Richard Duivenvoorde wrote:
> @jef: maybe you can elaborate a little more on this?

You're probably referring to scripts/scandeps.pl.  That updates the apt-get
install lines in doc/linux.t2t from the packaging files in debian/

But that's about it.  I'm not sure those are actually necessary - I'd try to
keep specific versions from the descriptions if possible.  As that's what tend
to outdate quickly and point to the packaging files instead, because those are
actually used and maintained.

BTW I for instance don't go through manually setting up the build with cmake
for development, but produce packages once (or sometimes even kill the build
half way) and keep using that build directory for development (both on linux
and windows).

On Debian that complains about what dependencies are missing anyway - so having
the apt-get install list above isn't necessary.  You could also just add the
nightly repository for the distribution you target and run apt-get build-dep
qgis and achieve the same.

Jürgen

Software Engineer           D-26506 Norden             http://www.norbit.de
QGIS release manager (PSC)  Germany                    IRC: jef on FreeNode