[Qgis-developer] Removal of labeling search methods??

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 18:27:27 PDT 2016

Hi Nyall

On Mon, Apr 25, 2016 at 6:48 PM, Nyall Dawson <nyall.dawson at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Just floating an idea out there... does anyone think there'd be major
> objections if I removed all the labeling "search methods" and just
> left the default one ("chain") as a hardcoded method?
>
> I'm referring to the choice between Chain/Popmusic tabu/Popmusic
> Chain/Popmusic Tabu Chain/FALP which you can get to from the global
> label settings. I"m 99.99% sure there's no-one around the QGIS
> community who has any idea what all these different methods mean, and
> googling for them only leads to the QGIS manual (which just mentions
> them, no details) and the original PAL journal article (with scant
> detail).

Sounds like a good idea. From my testing long time ago there was never
a significant difference between those methods anyway. IIRC in case of
heavy coverage of map by labels, the more advanced methods may end up
displaying few more labels in total, but it is not really worth it as
that's an edge case.

Cheers
Martin