[Qgis-developer] Fwd: Re: [Qgis-user] QGIS Crash Message

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Mon Aug 8 03:51:46 PDT 2016

Hi

> On 08 Aug 2016, at 11:00 AM, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it> wrote:
>
> Il 08/08/2016 10:25, Richard Duivenvoorde ha scritto:
>
>> What about the idea to make the 'ini-file- based QSettings type the
>> default QSettings system for ALL Operating Systems?
>
>> In general I think it is just easier to instruct users to either throw
>> away or edit a file then fiddling in the registry..
>>
>> QGIS3 would be a nice place in time to do this?
>
> Agreed, possibly the most unfriendly thing in QGIS.

I am +0 on this:

Con:

In windows we often used .reg files e.g. when doing training courses to reset specific settings so that trainees all have the same state (you can just double click on the .reg file to apply it). We also can use the registry to enable things via NSIS installers - for example we make a nightly build of the plugin (http://nightly.inasafe.org) which is packaged as an NSIS installer that makes sure the plugin is activated in the user's profile.

Probably we can do the same things by manipulating .ini files but the current system is pretty easy.

Pro:

Using a unified configuration system on all platforms would be nice...

Regards

Tim

> Thanks.
>
> --