[Qgis-developer] Dissolve/merge features and Validate geometries GEOS

Lene Fischer lfi at ign.ku.dk
Tue Aug 9 20:40:35 PDT 2016

Hi,

Having a problem dissolving two large multi polygons – one of my students asked why I suggest ‘dissolve’ – when ‘merge selected features’ was so much faster. Dissolve takes ages.

After consulting a master on this issue (Nyall ☺) he suggested that I change the settings -> Options -> Digitizing -> and change "Validate geometries" from QGIS to "GEOS".

Now the dissolve runs smooth and fast

I don´t have a clue about this topic – But my question is: Why is this not standard ?

Regards

Lene Fischer
Associate Professor

University of Copenhagen
Department of Geoscience and Natural Resource Management
Forest and Landscape College
Nødebovej 77a
3480 Fredensborg
Denmark