[Qgis-developer] Decoupling core/data and GUI part of widgets in 3.0

Patrick Valsecchi patrick.valsecchi at camptocamp.com
Wed Aug 31 07:12:50 PDT 2016

Hi,

On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 1:20 PM, Matthias Kuhn <matthias at opengis.ch> wrote:

> On 08/31/2016 12:41 PM, Nyall Dawson wrote:
> > Just to clarify - are you proposing that only a map of widget
> > configuration is moved to core? I'd say the representValue function
> > for each widget should also should be moved across, otherwise we'll
> > end up with multiple code paths reimplementing the logic from each
> > widget + plugins having to redo this themselves.
>
> Good point,
>
> that will also be nice to have in core.
>
> In this case we'll end up with two registries and two factories
> (although only a few widgets will need core functionality).
> Or did you have a different idea in mind?

That would force the plugin writters to provide two plugins: one for core
that could be used for qgis server as well and one for gui. Then how do we
make sure the user install the two plugins at the same version? I guess the
GUI plugin will depend on the core one...

I do agree that representValue would be useful in core, but that has some
cost to split the thing in two. Or maybe reprensent value is something
totally different from the widgets for editing the fields and they don't
have to be in 1-1 relation.

CU