[Qgis-developer] Any UI/UX plans for QGIS3?

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 19:54:42 PST 2016

On 25 Nov 2016 9:22 PM, "Alexandre Neto" <senhor.neto at gmail.com> wrote:

Hello all,

QGIS 3 is getting lots of love, and we are seeing new features being added,
some legacy code being clean up, and so on. We are all aware that this will
break the 2.x API, but now it's the time for it.

So I wondered if this is not the perfect time to think about some UI/UX
changes as well, as it will lead to more work in translation and
Documentation. Could we do a list of UI/UX stuff that we could improve?

I can think of a few things:

*Consistency*
 - "search", "select" and "browse" for browsing files;
- "Add saved file to map", "Load into canvas when finished", "Open output
file after running algorithm";
- there is more of these for sure;

*Help and Documentation*
- Most of our help buttons lead to nowhere, we already talked about
pointing them to the User's Manual online (although we would need a
solution for working with it offline and in different languages)

*Defaults*
- Should default selection color not be opaque?
- Showing only selected features vertexes by default?
- Map template, we could provide a very simple template as default (I think
there was already some discussion about this); Most people I see gets very
confused when they see a completely empty page.

Here's another idea for a great project t which doesn't involve c++/python:
check through and delete unused png icons.

A lot of the old png icons have been replaced with proper svg versions, but
the pngs are still included and in some cases they are incorrectly used
instead of the svg replacements.

Identifying these would be a matter of going though each png icon in the
repo and searching through the code (eg via "git grep mactionrefresh.png")
to see if they are still used anywhere. (Ignore any hits in the resources
files!) . If they aren't they can be safely removed. If they are, you could
check whether a suitable svg replacement can be used.

The more pngs we remove the easier it will be to identify which remaining
icons require vector versions.

Nyall

Alexandre Neto
--