[Qgis-developer] Proposal: Having all Processing providers as independent components

Victor Olaya volayaf at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 04:14:48 PST 2016

>> Slightly off topic, but I'm not sure (yet) if we should port the
>> actual algorithms themselves to c++. For my purposes (Matthias might
>> disagree here) it would be sufficient to allow algorithms to be fully
>> created in c++ only if required. Otherwise, I quite like having the
>> algorithms themselves as small python wrappers around inbuilt
>> functionality.
>
> I am not sure I would just move everything to core. The advantage of
> having only a couple of them in core and many of them written in python
> gives us many more developers who develop and fix them.
>
> The important bit is, that python is an option and no longer a requirement.
>
> What would be interesting is to port one or a few algorithms to C++ and
> see how big the performance impact is.

I think that all the code that does some analysis itself and computes
layers or geometries or whatever, that should be in C++ if possible,
and then accesed from Processing. No need to start porting stuff if
there is not a real need in terms of performance or reusability, but I
think that everything that is not the framework itself can be taken to
C++ and the design would be cleaner