[Qgis-developer] should core plugins not be available in plugin manager?

Victor Olaya volayaf at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 03:05:42 PST 2016

Hi

This has been discussed in the past, but i think no decision was
taken, so I want to bring back the discussion.

I think that core plugins should not be visible in the plugin manager,
and users should not be able to disable them. If they are core, they
should be active (the menus and buttons can be removed with the
"View/Customization..." functionality if the user wants to)

Since we removed the ftools plugin and now have the corresponding
functionality from Processing, some users are confused for not finding
the usual tools there. We have kept the same menus, for those that are
used to them and dont want to use the toolbox. However, if users do
not have Processing enabled, they won't see those menus. And it is not
obvious that they have to enable Processing to get something that
previously was a different plugin..

I think this is an interesting discussion, so if you have ideas or
think that this might have disadvantages, let's talk about it in here.

Thanks!