[Qgis-developer] [QGIS Server] How to share QgsPostgresSharedData between multiple QGIS instances

Alessandro Pasotti apasotti at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 08:06:40 PST 2016

On Thu, Dec 22, 2016 at 4:10 PM, Matthias Kuhn <matthias at opengis.ch> wrote:

> Hi Alessandro
>

> > In Lyon we also talked about how to share caches between different
> > server processes, do you think that the shared memory segment would be
> > appropriate in that case?
>
> What are the caches used for?

mainly per-project capabilities.

With QGIS 3 refactoring the QgsProject class will probably hold all the
information we need instead of parsing the project XML like we are doing
now, I think that we'll need to cache the QgsProject instance itself if we
want scalability by spawning multiple server processes without the need to
re-parse the project file, this in case we need to serve multiple projects
of course.

I was more oriented at a memcached/redis backend that would scale well if
the server instances are running on different containers (in that case the
shared memory will no work).

> I wouldn't exclude a shared-memory segment per-se but I also cannot say
> it's THE solution. I'm not sure if there's a general answer to it.
>
> Whatever it is, it needs to be properly protected against concurrent
> access and possible deadlocks.

I guess that in case of an external caching backend this would not be a
problem.

--
Alessandro Pasotti
w3:   www.itopen.it