[Qgis-developer] Improvements to the value relation widget: port to C++?

Neumann, Andreas a.neumann at carto.net
Tue Feb 2 01:16:08 PST 2016

Hi Alessandro,

Yesterday I had a meeting with Matthias regarding widget improvements.
We also have a wishlist of widget improvements. I agree that it would
make sense to port your dynamic values list filtering Python plugin to
C++.

In your proposal I would prefer option 1) or try to marry the "Value
Relation" widget with the "Relation Reference" widget and introduce your
new filtering mechanism. Note that the "relation reference" and the
"value relation" widgets both have filter options, but only with in the
widget itself, not in relation with other widgets, like your plugin.

Over the years, quite some overlap appeared in the widgets. In my
opinion, with QGIS 3.0, we should do an effort to clean up the
overlapping widgets. But we'd need an "update strategy" for old obsolete
widgets and make sure that the new widget variants really do all that
the old widgets could do.

As an example:

The "Value Relation" and the "Relation Reference" Widgets have a lot of
overlaps. Ideally they should be combined into one widget.

The newly introduced "External Resource" widget makes the "Photo",
"Filename" and potentially also the "Web View" more or less obsolete.

I think the QGIS users would prefer a smaller list of widgets with
options, and not many overlapping widgets that do very similar things.

Andreas

On 2016-02-02 09:52, Alessandro Pasotti wrote:

> Hi,
>
> to allow for drill-down forms, a few months ago, I've created a modified value relation widget with a companion form function that allow to implement dynamic filtering (or altering) of fields in a form.
>
> It can be easily ported in the core (it's basically a clone of the existing  value relation widget).
>
> The widget is available as a python plugin.
> http://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/FormAwareValueRelationWidget/ More information here:
> http://www.itopen.it/a-new-qgis-plugin-allows-dynamic-filtering-of-values-in-forms
>
> The main question is if there is any interest in porting this widget into the core, then if this should be
> 1. a replacement of the existing value relation widget 2. an optional feature of the existing value relation widget 3. a new widget
>
> I would like to hear your thoughts about this.
>
> --
>
> Alessandro Pasotti
> w3:   www.itopen.it [1]

Links: