[Qgis-developer] QGIS license and commerical software

Matthew Winchester mattpwinchester at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 06:51:23 PST 2016

Hello everyone,

My name is Matthew Winchester and I spend most of my time developing
software. I would like to create my own closed source software that I can
package and sell using python. This software would be using the QGIS python
package that I can import into a script and run to create layers on mapped
data.

I was wondering from a programmer what this QGIS license means. I have had
several of my friends tell me that I will not be able to sell this software
as closed source because of the license agreement to use the software. I
have also had someone tell me that it isn't a big deal and I can use QGIS's
library in Python to create my own code and sell it.

Thank you for your time