[Qgis-developer] Why is ellipsoidal calculation tied to project OTF setting?

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 14:02:21 PST 2016

Hi all,

While looking into the outstanding area/distance calculations issues
there's something I'm struggling to understand.

In QGIS ellipsoidal distance/area calculations are ONLY enabled when the
project has OTF crs transformation enabled. It could be because I've spent
too long staring at this code and lost sight of the bigger picture, but why
is this a requirement??

I can't see any reason why an ellipsoid can't be used even when layers
aren't being reprojected on the fly. To me, it's a totally different
setting without any relation to distance/area measurement.

If you don't want ellipsoidal calculation you could still set the ellipsoid
to none. But you *could* potentially want ellipsoidal calculation even when
OTF is off.

Am I missing something here?

Nyall