[Qgis-developer] Why is ellipsoidal calculation tied to project OTF setting?

Jelmer Oosthoek jhpoosthoek at gispla.net
Sat Feb 6 00:21:37 PST 2016

Dear all,

I've been using the geodesic functionalities of ESRI ArcGIS within my academic work: http://www.gispla.net/docs/Oosthoek_Arriazu_MarcoFiguera_GeodesicGIS_Human_LandingSite_Mars.pdf and http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/explorationzone2015/pdf/1049.pdf

But within my freelance work I use QGIS. It would be great if QGIS also had similar functionalities.

@Greg. As far as I would imagine, cartesian would mean measuring on a 2D projection while geodesic measures on the sphere/ellipse.

Cheers, Jelmer Oosthoek