[Qgis-developer] Help us plan for QGIS 3.0

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Mon Feb 8 15:36:21 PST 2016

Hi,

How about this:

* Release 2.14 as an LTR (on schedule), but with the option of having new,
heavily unit-tested and vetted features still available for pushing
* Skip a 2.16 release
* Release 3.0 version 8 months after 2.14

This would allow cleaning up of the PRs and QEPs that apply to the 2.x
branch, but not tie up the overall dev community with another full 2.x
point release. There will be 2.14.x releases, but possibly with an
understanding of when new features were introduced, e.g. tags >= 2.14.x
have new features.

It would also offer a full 8 months of work on porting everything to 2.x to
3.0, and allow the community to be well informed ahead of the impending
change.

Please keep in mind, for the Mac user community, the sooner a 3.0 beta
release is available the better, as Qt4 has very fragile support for
building on the current OS version and may not build at all on future ones.

Regards,

Larry Shaffer
Dakota Cartography
Black Hills, South Dakota