[Qgis-developer] Future of OpenLayers plugin - time to deprecate?

Pirmin Kalberer pi_ml at sourcepole.com
Fri Jan 1 13:00:08 PST 2016

Am Donnerstag, 31. Dezember 2015, 11.53:47 schrieb Bernd Vogelgesang:
> +1 for deprecating.
> I think the "popularity" of OpenLayers only derives from the fact that it
> was the only plugin available serving basemaps for a long time and that it
> is mentioned all around the web in tutorials etc.
> Most of my collegues with less experience frequently step into the traps
> and digitize stuff only to find later that the result is shifted or the
> map is not printable.
>
> I skipped it already a long time ago and tried to compensate it by finding
> other sources like WMS etc which is not so easy over here in Germany
> (especially since the built-in WMS Server Search results are completely
> outdated for a long time).
>
> Since the QuickMapServices plugin is there, I always recommend that.
> If this plugin would become the "successor" of OpenLayers, it would be
> nice to know why those most popular sources like Bing etc are "hidden" in
> the contributed services. Legal issues?

The usage of Bing as TMS is now legal AFAIK. Using Google as TMS is against
Googles Terms of Service. That's why the OpenLayer plugin uses OpenLayers
(sic!) for Google layers, which complicates a lot of things.
BTW, the master branch of OpenLayers also uses TMS where (legally) possible,
which solves most printing problems, etc.

Regards
Pirmin

--
Pirmin Kalberer - @PirminKalberer