[Qgis-developer] Can I change QgsAbstractGeometryV2::fromWkb signature ?

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 13:32:06 PST 2016

On 27 January 2016 at 03:31, Sandro Santilli <strk at keybit.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 05:24:37PM +0100, Marco Hugentobler wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I remember we agreed that the geometryV2 classes are not part of the
>> stable API (or was that only for 2.10?). So there should be no
>> problem in adding the parameter I guess.
>
> That's a good news, thanks.
> It would help to have a protocol defined to more easily tag
> and identify which classes are and are not part of the API.
>
> For instance, I'm now seeing QgsClipper::clippedLineWKB which
> also takes a pointer to unsigned char and no indication of
> its length (again, expecting a WKB).

Thanks for looking into this - the current situation is horrible. For
instance, there's duplicate WKB parsers present in:

- QgsSymbolV2::_getPolygon and QgsSymbolV2::_getLineString
- QgsClipper::clippedLineWKB
- QgsDistanceArea::measurePolygon (although I'm fairly certain that
method isn't used anywhere and should just be marked deprecated)
- the simplification code

There's a lot of inefficiencies happening here... eg rendering
features requires encoding the QGIS representation of the geometry as
a wkb, just to be immediately decoded from the wkb back to a list of
points.... arggg!

See also the discussion in https://github.com/qgis/qgis3.0_api/issues/15

Nyall