[Qgis-developer] Will not run on Windows Server 2008 r2

Steven Hirsch snhirsch at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 13:27:46 PST 2016

Hi,

The folks on qgis-users suggested that I ask for help here.  For whatever
reason, I am unable to run QGIS on a VM we use at work.  As far as I'm
aware, it's an absolutely vanilla Windows Server 2008 r2 system and I have
'Administrator' rights to the guest.

I have tried the latest 2.12 release in both 32 and 64 bit versions and
the LTR 2.8 64-bit release.  Failure mode is exactly the same on all of
them.

1. I see a fleeting message during install that complains about "..file
locked", but does not provide any particulars.

2. AFter installation is finished (no obvious error messages) QGis desktop
traps into the Windows error dialog just after "Initializing GUI" displays
on the splash screen.

If it makes any difference, I am accessing this machine using 'rdesktop'
from a RedHat Linux 6.7 system.

I'm an experienced developer in the Linux / Unix environment, but have
very little knowledge of Windows at the system level.  If anyone can
suggest some basic steps I can take to debug this and/or provide you with
more information, I will be glad to go through it on my end.

Thanks in advance for any help you are able to offer!

Steve