[Qgis-developer] ​Geophoto management

Albin Blaschka albin.blaschka at standortsanalyse.net
Mon Jul 4 06:29:53 PDT 2016

Hello!

I see the storing of pictures inside the database as problematic - due
to the pure file size to be expected, especially if it also possible to
store RAW-files: Just an example from my own work (ecological study):
In a project I have 16 plots studying the development of vegetation,
working there for three years, just if I make 5 photos per year (which
is almost nothing), we end up with 16 * 3 * 5 = 240 pics. I own an
Olympus E1, so a relatively old camera with "just" 5 Megapixel, the
RAW-file has 10.2 MB, so that would be around 2.5 GB of Data overall in
this theoretical case. Small project, old camera, meaning relatively
small resolution...
Even if we take just the jpg (for me and my camera, most of the time
something between 0.5 - 1.2 MB) still around 200 MB... so specially for
mobile devices or portability between devices not ideal I'd say... Maybe
storing just a thumbnail and defining a root-directory were the pictures
are would be an option?

I hope, not being a developer, my thoughts are not taken as an offense!
The features discussed are great and I would be very pleased if they are
implemented, but storing big binary data in a database could be
problematic, as I said...

Thank you all for your efforts!
Greetings,
Albin