[Qgis-developer] Unicode type QGIS_RELEASE_NAME and QGIS_VERSION

Minoru Akagi akaginch at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 18:01:10 PDT 2016

Hi,

Just a quick note for python plugin devs.

I received an error report related to QGis.QGIS_VERSION constant [1].
In QGIS 2.16, QGis.GIS_RELEASE_NAME and QGis.QGIS_VERSION constants
have been changed to unicode type. I guess that the change is
necessary for unicode release name support.

With QGIS 2.16, encoding GIS_RELEASE_NAME/QGIS_VERSION with no
explicit character code specified causes UnicodeEncodeError (try
`str(QGis.QGIS_VERSION)`) and a few plugins seem to be affected (e.g.
profiletool, numericalVertexEdit, etc).

[1] https://github.com/minorua/TileLayerPlugin/issues/20

Regards,
Minoru