[Qgis-developer] Managing a future 2.18 or 3.0 documentation?

Yves Jacolin yjacolin at free.fr
Wed Jul 20 00:29:55 PDT 2016

Matthias, Harrissou,

On Wednesday, July 20, 2016 9:12:17 Matthias Kuhn wrote:
> Hi Harrissou
>
> On 07/20/2016 08:47 AM, DelazJ wrote:
> [..]
>
> > So questions:
> > - Will we have a 2.18 (if ever) documentation?
>
> I think it would be good to plan 2.18 in general. Triggering the release
> scripts should be trivial. Since some features end up in 2.18, I guess
> it will happen.
> Concerning docs and also pre-release fixing, I wonder if this effort
> should be spent on the 3.0 migration instead?

So, either we can know which feature is in 2.18 and which in 3.0 and we can
target the ticket (in the doc repository) in the two milestone and without
much work, or we can't.

Anyway, as we are "still" working in the 2.16 release,  I guess we can aims to
release it at the end of the year, not before.

Next, we should focus on 3.0 to get the doc ready for QGIS 3.0, at the
beginning of 2017.

So +1 for your proposition.

> [..]
> > - Should the webhook set different milestions according to the branch
> > used?
>
> Yes, master_2 => 2.18, master => 3.0.
Are you sure? 2.18 milestone doesn't exist in the QGIS doc repository.

> Has there ever been a documentation released for 2.10 and 2.12?
> If non-LTR get no documentation, there's probably not much point in
> doing one for 2.18 I think?
> People can still refer to the "testing" doc from master instead which
> should match in many points (and where not, some notes can be included).
Indeed, but this is more a consequence than a cause. In the mid term I prefer
that we add new feature in the doc in the same time that the ticket is created
and so get a documentation release for each QGIS release.

Y.