[Qgis-developer] (Yet again) SAGA support badly broken in QGIS

Johan Van de Wauw johan.vandewauw at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 04:13:38 PDT 2016

On Thu, Jun 2, 2016 at 3:09 PM, Bas Couwenberg <sebastic at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> I notice a distinct lack of consideration for the SAGA LTR effort.
>
> That removes the need to incorporate SAGA into QGIS, and provides a stable
> API for 3rd parties to work with.
>
> I suggest to support the LTR effort by Johan van de Wauw, and only consider
> incorporating SAGA into QGIS if the LTR effort proves to not resolve the
> integration issues.

Thanks for reminding everyone Bas,

Perhaps some more info on our plans:
We plan to have a 2.3.0 release soon. This would be the first "LTR"
release, where we (I) will guarantee that no API changes will happen
in versions 2.3.x . This would be an ideal series for including in
QGis and Debian. I'll be maintaining it as long as QGis uses it.

We will also be moving to git as I believe this will help contributors
to send in patches (and helps maintaining a stable branch).

Anyway, this also means that now is the ideal time to tell us about
features you are missing as we can still have them in the LTR branch.
I've seen the question from Victor about using other filetypes from
the command line. That would be a great one to include.

As a final note: it looks like a lot of people care about SAGA. If you
do, join our list and discussions and perhaps try to contribute
somewhere (documentation, tests, bugreports). I'm convinced some
positive vibes from the QGis community will convince the core SAGA
devs that more collaboration is useful. Arrogantly saying that
something is not as you would like it does not help in that respect.

Kind Regards,
Johan