[Qgis-developer] Plugin repository latency

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Mon Jun 6 06:06:31 PDT 2016

On 06-06-16 14:46, Matthias Kuhn wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I often experience rather long waiting times when opening the plugin
> manager when it's waiting for the official plugin repository.
> Just before the request timed out.
>
> Also when opening it in a browser it takes several seconds:
> https://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/plugins.xml?qgis=2.15
>
> Is this a local issue or do others experience the same?

Hi Matthias,

We (mostly Alessandro) actually just implmented a caching feature for this:
- once every 10 minutes we ask for the plugins.xml of all release
versions, and cache those on disk. We made the descision to NOT cache
2.15 with the idea that for developers it was maybe better to just get
the live created xml...

BUT (and I agree with you) this makes the

https://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/plugins.xml?qgis=2.15
(8secs)

pretty slow compared to:

https://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/plugins.xml?qgis=2.14
(1 to 3 secs)

(it is > 1Mb)

We can off course add the latest dev version to the list of cached xml's...

Ale? Opinion?

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde