[Qgis-developer] Report 2 - QGIS Symbology Sharing Tools

Alessandro Pasotti apasotti at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 00:18:22 PDT 2016

> Hi Akbar,
>> The most flexible installation tool that I know is probably python pip.
>> pip can install software from a zip file, from git and from other sources
>> too.
>> I'd suggest you to have a look to pip implementation of the install
>> functionality, maybe there is some interesting for you.
>
> I just read pip code base. I think I can pick something from there for
> downloading the resources. But the problem I have right now is to get only
> the metadata file from the repository. Or are you suggesting that when
> users add a repository connection, it also downloads the repository
> directly?

If you are working on the git repos you can probably fetch just one file
without cloning the whole repo, I did not test it but here are probably
some pointers:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2466735/how-to-checkout-only-one-file-from-git-repository
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1125476/retrieve-a-single-file-from-a-repository

--