[Qgis-developer] Duplicate plugins: proposal

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Wed Jun 8 09:11:47 PDT 2016

Hi Niccolò,
thanks for your suggestions:

Il 07/06/2016 18:55, Niccolò Marchi ha scritto:

> 1.       An advice to “check for improvements before creating new and
> get in contact with the author”,

it is already here: http://plugins.qgis.org/

does not duplicate of existing functionalities or plugin, unless there
is a good reason

Please suggest wording improement if you think i is not clear enough.

> 2.       And/or an additional page (read-only for users) dealing with
> “proposed merges” where , the qgis developers who are testing more
> plugins similar to each other, can resume which features can be
> collected and from where.
>
> In the latter case, after a while, it could be then useful to send a
> general email to the plugin devs to get in contact with each other
> according to the “clustered scheme” that dinamically will be created.
> Plugin developers will still be free to keep their own plugin but, at
> least, it can stimulate the more collaborative ones. A sort of
> coordination proposal about what the project “needs”.
>
> In the worst  case, it may work as a general framework for future funded
> (?) projects.

Maintaining such a page is quite time consuming, and I cannot afford it.
What I regularly do is to suggest, directly to the developer, a merge
before approving new plugins, any time I see a potential for it.
This has met some very nice success.

All the best.

--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu