[Qgis-developer] Geocoding plugin: a good case for merge

Alessandro Pasotti apasotti at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 03:22:49 PDT 2016

> Hello,
>
> It could also be very interesting to have one or more Processing module(s)
> for geocoding (natives QGIS "algorithms"). We could then chain this with
> other algorithms (find all objects of a layer intersecting a 500m buffer
> from the positions of the adresses in a list for example). Of course this
> module would be easier to write if we would have a native QGIS API for
> this...

Yes, that's another good point for having it in the core.

I guess that the most reasonable implementation would be having the most
common geocoders (whole world coverage) available as core implementationn
and create an API to register local/national geocoders by plugins.

> Le 9 juin 2016 12:07:01 CEST, Richard Duivenvoorde <rdmailings at duif.net>
> a écrit :
>
>> On 09-06-16 10:42, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
>>
>>>  I don't see any real opportunity to merge the plugins: some of them are

>>  yes, this is clear to me. even if not much code is shared, from the user
>>>  point of view having a single menu, with a coherent interface where to
>>>  find all the services, would certainly be good.
>>>  for instance,
>>> the qgis2web was born in this way, and I believe it is a
>>>  good success.
>>>

>> Thanks for bringing this up Paolo!
>>
>> I can add my 'pdokserviceplugin' to te list too :-)
>> And MMQGIS plugin also has geocoder functionality
>>
>> Part of my plugin's interface is a 'search-bar' with which you do a
>> quick geocode->zoomto action
>>
>> It is modelled to the 'search'-bar of Firefox: just fill with an addres
>> and <enter>.
>>
>> Bottom part of:
>> http://pix.toile-libre.org/upload/original/1465466009.png
>>
>> What about something like that:
>> - we creating a gui-widget/toolbar for a geocoding search
>> - we create a python api for it (actually: implement a buttonless plugin
>> which registres the geocoder, and registres some slot/signals and does
>> (part of) implementation)
>> - by installing this plugin(s) you registre one or more
>> geocoders, AND
>> the plugin author actually implements the calling/retrieving/parsing of
>> the results. We can maybe do some general standards in core (or via
>> gdal): like OGC-OpenLS interface, or OSM-based ones or so
>> - the core-geocoder gui then can look like the search bar in Firefox
>> Upper part of:
>> http://pix.toile-libre.org/upload/original/1465466009.png
>> a little dropdown in which you can select WHICH geocoder you run by default
>> - this core geocoder widget can then also implement a small 'multiple
>> result' list...
>>
>> A side note:
>> - some of the geocoders plugins Paolo lists, are 'one shot' geocoders:
>> you sent one address and it returns one or two results. This is the
>> geocoder I'm talking about
>> - some of the geocoder plugins accept a csv/list, you have to select
>> some columnnames and you sent the list to a service and you get a list
>> back (with info about misses etcetc). This is much harder I think to
>> implement in a general way? Would be cool though...
>> pdokgeocoder and MMQGISplugin have these...
>>
>> Is this doable?
>> Should we write a QEP for this?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard

> Envoyé de mon appareil Android avec K-9 Mail. Veuillez excuser ma brièveté.

Alessandro Pasotti
w3:   www.itopen.it